Monday, August 04, 2008

The Lesson


Wisdom begins in wonder
Socrates

I have been quite amazed, recently, to realize that I understand.

Understand what, Rowena?

Everything.

Woo hoo there, Missy! Getting a little ahead of yourself, don't you think???

Why, yes. Yes I am. I am totally ahead of myself. I don't understand everything at all. I understand almost nothing. But I get it.

Now you're just talking nonsense. How can you understand everything and nothing at the same time?

How? How? Because I don't have to understand. And because I understand how little I know. And because I understand how hard it is to understand. And because I understand that understanding is NOT THE POINT.

Goodness gracious, Rowena. You're giving me a headache. What say you GET TO THE POINT.

The point, my friend, is living. The meaning of life is life. The purpose of life is living. Don't ask me to explain, I can't. It just is. And I'm too busy trying to figure out how to do it. I think the key is to just do it and not try to figure it out. But I'm still trying to understand how to get beyond my understanding.

Oh, gosh. Why the hell did I ask you. You don't know anything.

I know. But why don't you head on over to Etsy and buy Christine Mason Miller's new book. She's got pages and pages of much clearer lessons to help you not understand. Everything I saw, I found myself nodding in agreement with. It took me about 38 years to get a lot of those lessons. She's also known as Swirly Girl and you can find her on Sparkletopia. There is wisdom all around, my friends.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just living. Exactly!

Christy Amular said...

Great post! You indeed are a seeker.

I get it too! In the words of Tolle, it's knowing our unknowing that makes life what it is- a mystery and adventure to be lived and enjoyed. Yes, life's purpose is to live- to intensely experience the gifts of the moment which are love and joy!

Anonymous said...

This was such a fun piece...I'm totally going to check it out!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...