Thursday, November 20, 2008

Flying Girl and the Migration, or Follow
11/19/08 AEDM #19
Golden Fluid Acrylic, Faber Castell Pitt Artist Pens

What is she doing? Who is that strange bird? Is she part bird herself? Not sure, but as she goes through her changes, she flies, always onward. Even in the rain. Even as the wind blows. Even as her guide morphs into falling rain while she follows. She doesn't stop.

Does she get tired sometimes?

I think so. But even when she rests, there is a part of her that is still flying.

And I've got to stop painting to the very edges of the paper. Geesh. You'd think I'd a figured that out by now. I'm late with posting because I really didn't like this painting until I painted over the background with a lighter, less green color. And it didn't gel until I put in the spirals on the bird. And it didn't really gel until I went over the drawn navy spirals with the zinc white paint, and they smudged and blended and turned elusive. Then when I did the same on the bird... it went KAPOW! I like the effect and I may try to use it again.

I had a good birthday, thanks for all your good wishes. I didn't write, because, well... it was a busy day. I painted three (3!) Flying Girls yesterday, although I finished this one up this morning. And I cleaned the house and I made corn muffins and I watched the kids and I had a birthday party (although I did not host it). I even saw CSI and had a glass of port when everyone left.

My favorite part, though, even topping the presents that the kids got me (a wooden fruit bowl, a metal duck container, a purple cardigan and a sparkly wine colored bolero [my kids have good taste] from the local thrift store), was checking on all the lovely comments to my giveaway yesterday. Don't miss it! It's going until the end of Wednesday (New York time).

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I am so glad your birthday was amazing! The echo of birds wings on the waves is just about as poetic as art can be.

Thank you for this.

Unknown said...

Beautiful and evocative. Love the texture of the water.
- Son

Anonymous said...

I really like this one - the softness and mystery, the depth to the horizon, the patterns in the sea and on the wings.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...