Thursday, May 06, 2010

Abstract Rain

Rain


I almost don't know what to say.

Everyday, I just keep going. I take care of my kids. I make dinner. I work at my outside job. I work on the computer down in the basement. I make things with my hands. I clean up. I sit with kids. I talk to S. I write emails. I read a book. I watch tv. I paint. I think about things. I plan. I sketch.

Every day I take steps forward.

These steps don't always move me forward, but I keep taking them.

I found a quote yesterday that I really liked.
To accomplish great things we must not only act, but also dream. Not only plan, but also believe.
-Anatole

I think this is the key to finding balance. It's about incorporating a life of doing into a life of dreaming, thinking, believing, hoping, loving.

Now I've lived the life that was all dreamingthinkingbelievinghopingloving... and no doing. That doesn't get you there, either, although it can be a lot of fun. But the planning and the acting.... that's what gets us where we want to go, what gives a kind of purpose to our lives.

What does the picture of the rainstorm through screen window have to do with anything?

Oh, I don't know. It's just another downpour. Just another day. Keeping us inside but making everything so so green.

And I love the abstraction the screen gives to the real life photo. Sometimes life is good to look at abstractly, for the big movements and the grand scheme of color that surrounds us. It's like taking a step back into outer space, so we can see the lay of the land.

Then we can come in close again, open the window, and see immediately, what the rain has done to the oak trees, and the forsythia, and the dandelions, and the lawn and the wild violets, all dripping with Springtime.

2 comments:

JES said...

What does the picture of the rainstorm through screen window have to do with anything?

After thinking about it for a moment, I think it fits really well with this post's words and musings. The screen is like cold hard reality: practicality, planning, the "act" side of the quote you cited. Then there are the holes where the screen isn't -- and that's where all the color and all the wonder lies. Very cool.

(Er, not to put words in your mouth or anything!)

Rowena said...

that is a very cool interpretation, John, thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...