Wednesday, March 17, 2010

The Evolution of a Spider Web



There Is A Pattern or Chaos/Web
Felt and Embroidery Floss Doodle

I wanted to show you a few things I've been messing with in my invisible time away from the computer. One day, I picked up a felt circle and started stitching. It turned into a spiral. It made me think of a spider web. It took a really long time, because I am not a great embroiderer and am basically making it up freehand as I go.
Spinning Spider Web
Felt and floss

This time, when I picked up my felt and floss, I intended to do a spider web... although I didn't use any references. Just my idea of what a spider web would look like. I realized when I got to the outside of the web I needed to make the web less circular and more angular. It's more the idea of a web than a real web. I think I might like to add a spider to this somewhere. Maybe hang one off of the web with a silver chain, even. Who knows.
My Web Looks Like the Unknown
felt, floss, repurposed glass, plastic and silver beads.

This is what I came up with this morning. Yesterday I found this Melissa Loves post with this photo of a dewey spidery web. (sorry I can't post the photos. sometimes technology is beyond me.)

I don't have any finished projects to show... (well maybe there is the crown I made my son, but I can show that later.) I'm still finding may way back to being creative. But I thought maybe it might be nice to show that in order to get into that creative place, you don't have to knock it out of the park right from the beginning.

Creativity is a process, not a product. Yes, we make things, create things, but the most important part of of creation is not what we end up with, it's what we put in to it.

So here I am. Stumbling. Creating. Drawing it out one thread at a time.

Interesting that my favorite web here is actually the one that is the least whole, the least unbroken, the least cohesive. And the most real.

Can we take that as a metaphor for life?

1 comment:

Hybrid J said...

Your embroidery work is exquisite! I love the slightly "untidy" feel. It makes it unique. Great work and looking forward to see more of them. I mean it! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...