Friday, October 12, 2007

Mama made meatloaf

And I did that sneaky chef thing and put all sorts of vegetable matter in there. The boy didn’t eat last night, but that might have just been a not hungry day. He’s already had a slice for lunch today. All I had to do was give him a blob of ketchup for dipping and he asked for more. I put mine on a hamburger roll and had a meatloaf sandwich.

I remember my mom making meatloaf all the time, and I always loved it, but my years of being a vegetarian made me out of practice in the carnivorous cooking. Now, here I am making all meat and starches because the kid won’t eat a veggie, and I have to get creative with my mom’s old recipe. Lemme remember what was it?

Rosymamacita’s Meatloaf

1.5lbs ground beef
3 chicken sausages
5 mushrooms diced fine
1 grated zucchini
1 onion diced fine
1/4 cup of olives, diced fine.
2 slices whole wheat bread, turned into breadcrumbs (I think I could have used less bread) soaked in milk (which maybe I didn’t need, with all the veggies)
Some tomato sauce… maybe half a cup
worcestershire sauce
mustard
1 egg
salt and pepper
oregano

then you do a sauce with many of the same ingredients. tomato sauce, mustard, worcestershire, a little anchovy paste, a dab of vinegar. Thin it with some beer, or, barring that, I used water and it was fine.

Make your loaves. I made muffin meatloaves, and used an icecream scoop to fill them. Pour the sauce over the meatloaf/muffins. Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes. More if you’re doing a big meatloaf.
With all the veggies I added above, I ended up with 12 meat muffins and two small loaves. The muffins are good for freezing.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...