Thursday, May 05, 2011

The Writer/Altar Ego

The Writer, Articulated Paper Doll
card stock, pencil, acrylic paint, mini brads
about 8" tall

I made myself a paper doll to remind myself of who I want to be. Who I am. Oh she's me, no doubt. The kids found her when she was still in progress and carried her around, having conversations with her, "Hi mommy. Are you going to drink coffee now?" She has accessories, like her manuscript and her cup of joe. Obviously, she's busy revising. Or she can pick up her laptop and notebook and get some first draft work done. Or, she can take her journal, pens and pencils and do some process work.

Sometimes I feel like my other roles take over the parts of me that I really want to focus on. I mean, it's springtime and the kids are cute and I have jobs to do, but I don't want to lose my focus on the long range goals. So I make little reminders for myself. Right now, she's hanging over my desk, on a piece of black embroidery floss. She's like my little alter ego. Or maybe she's my altar ego. A little altar to that part of me.

Who are the parts of you that you need to be reminded of? Who is the you inside of you that needs to get out more?

2 comments:

B @ Sweet Limes said...

What a brilliant little paper doll, she's wonderful! The details are terrific and I just adore her.

Great questions you ended with, I'm not sure I have the answers to them right now, though it means I'm just going to have that running through my head all day (and I don't mean that as a bad thing either).

pluckychickenheart said...

Oh WOW! I love this. Its like you are your own personal icon. How awesome is that? I might try this as well I love the reminder idea so much.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...