Wednesday, July 21, 2010

You Must Be My Lucky Charms

You Must Be My Lucky Charms, and Mold
Charms: Paper Clay. Mold: Polymer Clay
34/100 in 100 days creative challenge

I experimented with polymer clay. This kind is much harder and stiffer than the kind I'm used to using. I used to make all sorts of miniatures and jewelry and geegaws and three dimensional pieces of art.

I wanted to make some forms so that I could create charms for decoration and inspiration. Let's just say it's awful hard to make a tiny lotus in relief, even with proper carving tools. The closest I got was this little sun. I didn't think it would turn out so well, but you know what? I was completely surprised at what happened once I fired it and then pressed out a couple of charms.

Sometimes doing something in reverse alters the results beyond your expectations. Like drawing something from a mirror reflection.

Also, sometimes taking the chance on a new endeavor yields positive rewards. This polymer clay is weird. But I keep trying.

Of course, sometimes taking a chance means you fail. I have another charm that doesn't feel so successful. I'll show you that one tomorrow.

Even failures are just a step towards the next challenge, the next lesson. And I think if I muck with it some more, maybe it won't be a failure. Who knows.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...