Saturday, January 23, 2010

Birfday Card


Birfday Card for Alexander
hand painted and personalized print of original acrylic painting
5"x8"

Yesterday, we had cousin Alexander's birthday party. A great deal of fun was had by all.

I made Alex this birthday card... well, that is not quite correct. The kids directed me.
They picked this painting from my archive, and I printed it out and then painted over it with acrylic paint to personalize it. I was instructed as to colors to use and what needed to go where, and sometimes, when it needed more excitement. Hence the pennant banners.

There were other choices, a couple of Aliens were in close running, and a robot who woulda looked cool with a balloon and birthday hat. But in the end, they picked this one. I actually think I painted it with the knowledge that it could be a "blank" for later prints. I don't know if I'd planned on painting over the print, but hey, it worked pretty well.

We mounted it on construction paper. I did that so that they could draw something inside, but they refused. I think they liked the way it came out too much.

This was on the back. Two prints of their personal ACEOs that I painted for them quite a while ago. One bunny. One monkey. These served as their signatures, I suppose.

They played keep the balloons in the air and duck duck goose and a dog bone game and gramma says and they pulled a pinata apart with hands and teeth (well not the teeth) and then they ate pizza and cake and fell, exhausted, into bed.

Any way, I pulled something while cleaning up the birthday party and now I'm cranky and achey and drinking far too much coffee. Dinner will be chicken nuggets tonight, and then an early bedtime, but I am still pleased with the way the card came out. Maybe I'll do more of these in the future.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Sounds like a wonderful time!

I really like the idea of painting over a print as a guideline...even though you had the talent to do it in the first place, I'm thinking of just taking a pre-made print (drawing/painting/sketching not my strong point) :) and painting over...thanks!

I saw your comment on Maya's website as well...I actually have a daughter turning 3 in late March and a son turning 5 in late June - looks like we both have parties to plan!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...