Friday, March 03, 2006

The 15 Minute Choo-Choo Train

I ran out of things to say. Hmmph. There's some funkiness with the dates on my site because one day after I posted, I got another idea, and rather than being cocky and thinking that idea would hang out just waiting for me to write it down, I sat down and drafted it. I figured I'd post it the next day, so I did, although it took me a while to figure out how to change the date signature. But then I had another idea, so I sat down and drafted that one too. But by the next day, I couldn't figure out how to change the date signature, and the baby started crying, so I just posted it as it was.

What does that go to show? That I am a tech idiot-- and that's the reason there are no pictures of Gabriel on this site-- and that if you sit down at the computer-- if you show up-- the ideas will show up too. As long as you try.

If you put them off, however, get distracted, do something else, those ideas often dry up, and then you have to start all over again. Which is where I am now. Doh. And here's the baby crying.

Gosh. I really have to learn to utilize those spare 15 minutes to the best of my ability. If you're on a roll, take advantage. Because it takes a lot longer than the next 15 minute window to get that choo choo train of inspiration going again.

I'm going to make a list of topics to write. That's what I used to do when I was teaching poetry. Okay, I didn't use topics, I used strong words, and I had a little pot where I collected all these juicy, strong words, The kids named it "The Witche's Brew of Words". Then the kids would pick a word and write their poems. Sometimes they would pick three or four, and see how they could link them up. It's actually a pretty good exercise, and lets your subconscious work.

I think it would be good to modify that exercise for me. Put ideas and words that have to do with where I am right now into a pot. My Mommy Cauldron. Then when I sit down to write, or draw, I can pull an idea and just riff on that. 15 minutes. No stopping. Write. Write. Write.

There ARE ways to do this, mamacita.

Mommy's coming, Gabriel!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...