Wednesday, April 07, 2010

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle (Going Around Again, In Art and Packaging)

This is a sneak peak of something I am working on but am not ready to post (partly because I just don't have the derned time).

It's a piece that came about in surprising ways, and I just happen to love this detail shot, and how the old gray blue of the metal door in the background looks so soft and lovely and picks up the underpainting. And I love also the way the silver develops a kind of rose colored sheen to it, from I don't know where.

If you'd like you can guess the project... It's actually an old project that I almost entirely recreated, experimenting with new methods. It was fun.


Here also is a project. I made a stamp out of an old eraser. It's a total "whatever" project. I had the urge to make a stamp, but had no supplies. I carved it with a pen knife, so it's pretty rough. But I don't mind rough.

I do mind that my flying girl stamp faces backwards. I forgot about the reverse, silly me. She looks sad when she looks to the left. It seems like she is looking at the past, not forward, to me. So I will have to try the stamp thing again, maybe this time with actual tools meant for the purpose.
This is one of the purposes I have put my flying girl to. I don't know if you can tell, but I am making packaging for my store. I am planning a nice fat shop update. Or perhaps a gradual one, depending on how much time I have.

I've decided to do recycled, repurposed packaging, as much as I can. I'm using grocery boxes to make matchbook style folders to hold my little pins, with some leftover birthday tissue to line the matchbooks. I'm still experimenting with making pillow boxes for other products. I like not having to go out and just buy things. I like feeling resourceful.

Do you see the little silver flying girl on the matchbook? She's kind of flying topsy turvy. It's not the best picture, but I wanted to post what I've been doing.

Huh, come to think of it, the first project, the love image? that is also recycled. I knew I wasn't going to do anything with the piece as it was, so I reimagined it. Now I like it.

Three cheers for reducing, reusing and recycling.

1 comment:

gobbldyg00k said...

I'd guess that the first project is a paper mache flying girl, or a flying girl made of something similar -- it looks awesome, can't wait to see the rest of it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...