Tuesday, July 22, 2008

What Little Girls are Made of

Polka dots!

When I got back from my Georgia road trip, I checked Inspire Me Thursday
only to find that polka dots was the theme. I don't usually have much to do with polka dots, so I had no idea what I was going to do with the prompt, until I looked at Ivy and realized she was coincidentally wearing a polka dot shirt. She almost never wears this shirt, it was just because I needed to do laundry after the trip.

So I thought I would go out into the garden and do a little photo shoot of Ivy in her polka dots, particularly since she was having a kind of tantrum filled morning. I thought the juxtaposition of the cutesy polka dots and the dramatic tantrums was interesting, but you know, once she got out into the yard, she stopped being so dramatic and got curious about the world around her.

Was she chipper? Not quite, but lots of things can make a bad mood feel better. Things like polka dots. Things like sunny gardens. Things like singing songs.

That's one of the things I did with Ivy and her bad mood. I sang her a made up song, sung to the tune of Row Your Boat.

Aye, Aye, Ivy Bean
Ivy I love you!
Sing a song and don't you cry.
Papa loves you too.

By the time I had sung the song a billion times, Ivy was singing along, Aye Aye Aye Aye, and had left her polkamoody tears behind.

7 comments:

s.l.greek said...

great picture and wonderful words. all are blessed in your neighborhood.

Nicole V Lozano said...

what a cutie

Tammie Lee said...

wonderful photo
sweet little girl
cute little dress

Anonymous said...

Very sweet. Polka dots are my favorite! Thanks for visiting and taking time to comment. Much appreciated.

Anonymous said...

Making up songs is fun. Works for me anyway. She's a cutie.

Sugar Jones said...

aaawww... I am totally going to have that cute little song stuck in my head! I wish you were my mom!

So next year, you and I and a bunch of other cool chicks are totally rooming together at BlogHer, got it?! Start saving your pennies! I know I am...

Rowena said...

Thanks all for your kind words. My kid is awful cute, I don't mind admitting.

And sugar, I hold you to that date. Anyone else want to come with us? Blogher '09, be there or be squarish.;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...