This is a world that does not really appreciate those who appreciate themselves. Especially if you are a woman, you are expected to be meek and self effacing and humble, or you should expect to be pounded down until you lay as flat as all the others.
But what would it be like if we lived in a world that allowed us all to really revel in all the ways we are rockstars? What if it wasn't always about wallowing in our imperfections and failures and all the ways that we are just not good enough? Maybe we could let go of all the self-hate, the guilt, the self destructiveness, the insecurity, the overcompensation, the meanness towards others.
If we were to honestly look at ourselves, not just for our faults to be fixed or despised, but for our inherent amazing qualities, not only would we be happier, but so would those around us. If all of use were secure in our greatness, then no one would feel the need to knock others down to feel better about themselves.
So here I am, challenging you to spend some time and energy thinking about what is awesome, great, beautiful, outstanding, delightful, heart warming, and plain old ROCKSTAR about you. Think about it. Write it down.
Here are the rules:
- No qualifications. No buts or ifs or sometimes or maybes or excepts. Just the great and only the great.
- No apologies. You don't have to apologize for our greatness. Being great doesn't take anything away from other people's greatness. They're great too. There's room for all us rockstars on this stage of life.
- No negatives. You have plenty of practice finding the suckitudes of you, you spend WAY too much energy searching out your crappiness. If a negative keeps popping up in your head, turn it into a positive. For instance, I am not "lazy," I am "easy going."
So here I am, I'm going to do my rockstar list and I am going to share it with you even though I am getting shades of being in fifth grade when all the kids thought I was the teacher's pet... but here I go, no apologies.
- I am easy going and very open minded.
- I can write like the wind and I love it. I love not having to struggle with the words and just letting them flow.
- I have a natural talent for art.
- I am witty.
- I am classically beautiful in the physical sense.
- Most people like me, heck it's kind of unanimous. I'm likable.
- My kids are gorgeous and brilliant :)
- I can fit in almost any where I go.
- I have a logical mind.
- I know how to break things down so that they are easily understandable.
- I am a really good teacher.
- I have a great eye for style and can make lots of things look good.
- I have a great singing voice.
- I am really focused on those things I want to do.
- I know what I want out of life and I am working on getting it.
- I'm a good, creative cook.
- I have some pretty powerful intuition.
- I am wise.
Okay, I'm going to stop now before I pass out. If it would make you feel more comfortable, tell me what is great about you here in the comments, a relatively obscure spot... and then get ready to tell people who might actually know who you are in real life....
Oooooh. I dare you.