Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Snowed In

More Snow in Michigan


What do you do when you've been snowed in... metaphorically as well as literally?

How do you get back to work?

Yesterday, I started my third draft of my novel. I wrote a new opening, a prologue of sorts, and revised the first couple of chapters.

Today I haven't opened the file.

Gosh darn it.

It doesn't matter how hard you work at something, how long you get your routine going, how fast you're steaming along, there almost always seems to come a time when life or timing or the creative process, or the weather or whatever it is gets in your way and things come to a screeching halt.

I guess I shouldn't complain about "not being able to do anything."

In fact, I know I shouldn't complain about it, because the more energy I put into how I can't write, or can't paint, or can't get my energy going... well, the more I can't do any of those things.

It's a far more productive technique to start thinking about how I COULD make some time out for writing. Or take notes on some ideas I want to put in my novel. Or paint a lame picture that is never meant to be a masterpiece, but more just for fun.

Or maybe I could start taking walks and getting some exercise, like people are always advising me to do.... naaaah. (Did you see that snowy picture? Real life! Current.)

Anyway, what are your tricks and treats for getting your mojo going again?

I am open to all suggestions... although I'm still doubtful about the exercising thing.

5 comments:

Marisa said...

This is the exact scene I woke up to yesterday morning...I love it!

I know what you mean about getting into a rut...you sit and spin and spin and end up deeper than when you started. Sometimes it takes a while before something comes along to give us that "push" we need to get moving again...especially when it comes to exercise.

Lisa said...

Right there with ya'. The snow (here in Indiana) is thwarting every effort I make to find Life. Blah.

Every day, my mojo seems to be hiding underneath the Next Step. I had to drag my bum out of the house this morning, kiddo in tow, to take care of all sorts of financial errands. Fun, eh?

I find that all I can do is take the next step - just one - and usually that gets me to happiness by the end of the day.

Good luck with the book - and each step!

marta said...

When I get stuck, I let my work lurk and wait. I mean, I'll open my notebook or the laptop and put it in front of me open to the story I'm supposed to work on. Then I turn on the tv and put in a favorite movie that I've seen many times. And I tell myself that I might write or I might watch the movie. Either way is fine.

It has to be a movie I know very well so it it is easy to turn away. Usually after a while with the page staring at me, I have to write something. Anything. I type a little. Back to the movie. Then...I type a little more.

I do this for a few nights and then I find that I know what I want to write and the tv stays off and I can write for days.

I guess it is weird, but it works for me.

Good luck getting the mojo again.

Genie Sea said...

I am fresh out of advice, but this I do know. You will find your own path. Anyone else's is just that. Theirs. It's like breathing. Fill up the lungs and empty them out again. You are emptying out your creative lungs. The next breath is coming :)

オテモヤン said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...