Saturday, August 08, 2009

Three Flowers

Joy... Is... Because...
67/100 in 100 days creative Challenge
Acrylic and Pitt Artist Pen on Moleskine Paper, 5x8"

This is a little different from what I've been doing lately. I know I started it when I had extra pink paint. I just painted a whole page with it. Then later started going, without really thinking about it.

I started with the colors and flat paint and it just seemed very bland to me. Then I remembered all the hatch marks I'd been loving while doing the Wreck This Journal challenge. And the floral patterns, and it just grew from there.

In my head, I'd like to turn this into a greeting card with this on the outside and inside "You are You." with a place to fill in 10 things the sender loves about the reciever. I don't know where the idea came from, but I'm kinda liking it. Let's see if I can figure out how to do it all.
Love Is...
68/100 in 100 Days Creative Challenge
Acrylic on Moleskine paper, 5x8"

I did this one the next day. For some reason, it reminds me of dancing. Probably because I painted it during so you think you can dance.

You know, these swirls and patterns used to be the way I doodled. I would do paisleys and mandalas, eyes and flowers, grids and scallops and shells and seawaves. They covered every note book I have owned for the last, oh 20 years. To me they were just doodles, but as I've looked around the web, I've seen people selling what I would have cast off as little nothings. Very interesting.

I thought I'd try incorporating some of what came out of me in the past into my current art. I don't think that anything we have ever done is really wasted. I think the things that really matter come back into our lives when we are ready to appreciate them.
I wonder what kind of card this could make?


Home... Heart...
69/100 in 100 Creative Challenge
Acrylic and pen on Moleskine Paper

This is the last one. I don't feel like it is quite as successful as the other two. I remember I painted it by color lottery... pulling the paint bottles out of my bag and going with whatever colors I picked.

I also finished this much later. When I found these. I painted them while my computer was down and I'd forgotten I'd done them. So when I was looking for a new page to start, there were these three paintings. Woohoo!

It's like Christmas in August.

What things from your past crop up when you don't expect them. How can you turn them into something you can use for today?

2 comments:

aquamaureen said...

Rowena, I just purely love these cards. How interesting that you used to do this sort of "doodling" all the time. . . and that others would sell what you thought were "little nothings." I'm so glad you have allowed this beauty from your "past" to come into your present :)

YOu mentioned that you didn't think the 3rd card quite worked--for me, it's the words that don't pull me into opening the card, like on the first two cards. "joy because" and "love is" make me want to open to see what completes that . . . but "home heart" doesn't--maybe "heart" is part of what could be inside the card.

At any rate, these have a particular beauty. I'm really glad to see them.

Ashley Inzer said...

wow, I love these. especially the Joy one. I also love reading your posts. I can really connect with your thoughts about life and the creative process. I love seeing that come to life on your blog. thank you for sharing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...