Tuesday, November 09, 2010

The Moon Was Up Here, or Creative Slumps and the Journey

the moon was up here...
watercolor, pencil, sharpie, on paper
November 9, day 9 AEDM

(It was dark, pre dawn, and the three of us walked along. On our way to the rest of our life.)

This is a quick sketch I did this morning. Well, I did the pencil yesterday and watercolor today, the ink too. I didn't want to think too much about it. I wanted to just let if be whatever came to my mind in the moment, thus the grammatical mistakes. Or perhaps the not my favorite choice for colors.

What I've learned from my years (yes years) of creative challenges, is that it often takes a while to find your groove. You start out excited for the challenge, with the opportunity to jump into some things that you have been thinking about for a while, then after a while, your ideas dry up and you kind of futz around, wondering what is going on, wondering what it is you should be doing, what it is you have to say, wondering if you have anything to say at all.

It would be really easy to stop in this point, because it's not a very fun point. That is where the commitment takes over. You keep going because you promised yourself you would. You keep looking for ways to be creative because you promised yourself you would. And it can be a grind.

But somewhere in that grind, you discover something that is meaningful to you, and it all starts making sense again and then you start having your ideas again, and your direction, and you learn new things about your technique and about your voice and the energy returns.

I am in the grind.

But I will continue on.

This is the process.

And it's all good.

How is your process going? Are you sticking with it? Are you living up to your commitments?

ps I think this may also go for all commitments, relationships, jobs, education, projects.


nanowwrimo: 30113 words, day 8

3 comments:

Leah said...

Excellent points about getting through the grind! I like the part of your piece that says, "the moon was up here." :-)

Julie said...

Great post!

dandelionlady said...

Thanks for reminding me that I'm not the only one who has to work at getting through a challenge. I think that for change and growth to occur within us first we have to let go of a previous organization. For something new and better to emerge we all have to go through that dark night of the soul.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...