Wednesday, October 21, 2009

The Godliness of My Tattered Life

Williamsburg, Brooklyn: A Journey/Winesburg, Ohio by Sherwood Anderson
An altered book, mixed media, 2003

This is one of my favorite pages, in its simplicity. I cut out a bunch of pages into a frame and glued them together then gessoed over them. Trying to find some image of Godliness. A leaf was at hand. I liked it. I even like the way the leaf has browned and the page has yellowed and become spotted (I left this page propped open and on view for quite some time). Perhaps godliness, far from perfection, is actually beat up and faded, a part of the transformation of life... which is a part of the transformation of death, in all honesty.

Life and death. Creation and destruction.

In order to make something, you must make a space for it to exist. In order to gain, you must let go. In order to grow you must destroy the old you. I think too often, we equate destruction and loss with evil. But I think that if we don't understand the place of this "negativity" in the "positivity" of life then we don't really understand life.

Maybe that's when we get stuck on this idea of perfection, thinking we must be only light and no shadows. Thinking we should never be sad or silent, tired or unproductive. Thinking that in order to have something we must have EVERYTHING.

I'm going to tell you, in order to be a mom and be a creative person, I have absolutely had to give up things. I've given up money. I've given up freedom. I've given up socializing. I've given up space. A lot of people would not be willing to give these things up. But for me, I needed to have the room and time so that I could go where I wanted to go. I don't regret these losses.

Well, sometimes, but I am willing to wait to get back to these things.

For instance... nanowrimo is coming quick quick quick. I have been working on my outline about an hour a day... but that won't be enough to get my wordcount up. I am going to have to sacrifice somethings. It's going to have to be the internet and the tv. Sigh. I loves me my internet and my tv, but I really really want to have the space to get this novel out of my head and onto a page.

So I will release. I will let go of my comfortable routine and kill my bad website addiction. I will put a hold on fashion and decor browsing. I will stop watching tv shows that I don't really care about and turn the tv off after the ones I do, even if Friends is on or I might be able to find a movie I'd like to see or What Not to Wear is on right this minute.

Let it go. Say goodbye. Let some things lie silent and fallow... and turn that time and energy towards something that I am committed to.

So there's my godliness for the month of November. The creation of a whole new world. The tatters around the edges of what will be the rest of my life. I like tatters. They have charm.

3 comments:

Michelle | When I Grow Up Coach said...

I love this, Rowena. I think giving things up is the center of Growing Up. You're accommodating your values, your beliefs, your goals & your priorities instead of what others ask or expect of you. It's so tough to break those chains, but once you prioritize & set those boundaries, & release those bad habits that are holding you back (mindless TV, not being able to say "no", etc) you have so much more room to grow, succeed & thrive.

Mary said...

Geez.
I SOOO Needed to hear this right now, as Im grumblin about not having any time for me the artist outside of me the mom... thank you for reminding me to get off my tv watching (addicted) arse and get to my notebook/computer screen.
thank you thank you thank you, I found you by chance, I will be linking to you now.
be well and good luck

d.tennison said...

as i lay dying, will i say to myself: "if only i had watched more t.v.?" or "i just wish i had read more blogs?" these things truly are addictive. are they valuable enough to trade our hours (lives) for?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...