Thursday, September 17, 2009

Wild Mermaid Princess Thing in the Jungle, and Me

Jungle Royalty (in the garden) What I Wore Today
September 17, 2009
pitt artist pen, pen on paper

So I've been absent for a while. Turns out that I was far more productive when I was in the middle of the flu than I was after I had been through the worst of it. For the last week or so I have just been exhausted and too tired to do much of anything but moan. So I thought I'd spare you all posts saying how tired I was and I didn't do any painting, anyway, because I kept pooping out once I made lunch for the kids.

To tell the truth, I'm not 100% right now, still a little achey and headachey. BUT only Ivy's high pitch squeal or a brass band can still split my head open, not normal music or the boy's shouting... so it's an improvement. And I still have a little energy, so before it runs away, lets get this post going.

Wild Mermaid Princess Thing in the Jungle

Ivy has been obsessed with Mariana the Mermaid Princess' magic crown (from Dora the Explorer). She has been using her plastic cereal bowl as a crown, and it inevitably slides off of her head and crashes to the floor with a ringing clatter, bringing on that split-open head feeling in mama. So yesterday, I'd had enough and took out a cereal box, cutting it into a crown, then painting it with gesso. I told them they could paint it when it was dry, but Ivy loves hers white.

I've been trying to capture a photo as she runs around the house, saying she has to bring the crown to Mariana. When she ran outside with it this morning, I ran after her, trying to catch the Wild Thing in her native habitat. Let me tell you, it wasn't easy. I got this one, but she spent most of the time ducking between hanging vines and overgrown elephant ears or tall swaying ferns. The little dickens. She also doesn't think that anything bad will happen if she falls into the pond, because, obviously, she is turning into a mermaid.

So after a few weeks of inactivity and exhaustion from the flu, here's three creative projects in two days. Photo, drawing and crown. Not bad for She of the Flu.

I feel a headache sneaking up. Sigh. I was hoping I could get a little packing down... that's still coming up on the horizon. Just taking things one step at a time, I guess.

10 comments:

Lisa said...

Oh my GOODNESS she is ADORABLE! What a beautiful idea (my 2 1/2 year old is Dora obsessed as well too and loves the "Dora Mermaid" book she has too). I'm sending plenty of healthy thoughts your way!! Keep allowing yourself to rest (and I have to say - you are an amazing woman for all you've done despite the ickiness!)

Marisa @ Getting Back To Basics said...

I love your drawings and your little girl is a gem. Glad you're feeling better.

Unknown said...

You be hanging in there. The aftermath of a disease can be worse...as you know. GREAT photo of Ivy.

Natasha said...

I've been missing you! I hope that headache disappeared quickly :) I'm so sorry you have been so sick...that's just mean. I am sending you HUGE healing hugs...your kids are awesome...I LOVE this pic of Ivy and her crown ...and that sketch rocks...I want you outfit hehehehe

Querulous Squirrel said...

Wild Mermaid Princess is certainly magical, as has watching your 100 in 100 artwork unfold. Very inspirational. Your flu sounds miserable.

Amanda Fall - Sprout editor said...

Found out on Twitter today that the final 100 days of 2009 begin on September 23rd...Aqua and I have already decided to begin another 100 project. Crazy? Maybe. Inspired? You bet. :) This is all YOUR fault, woman!

Karen Salva said...

omg...i love this! still trying to grab some moments to catch up and miss you! this is such a great drawing and love how your art has really progressed!

Cheryl said...

LOVE the crown. My little girl has just started in with the dress up stuff. I can appreciate how hard it is to capture the little ones when they 've got something else on their minds. I'm not ENTIRELY convinced that it's not done just to bug me! :-)

Genie Sea said...

I hope you're feeling better! That sketch is exceedingly charming but not more charming that your Princess in her crown. :)

Querulous Squirrel said...

Also, you've inspired me to think about writing 100 of my flash fiction stories in 100 days. I've had that in mind the last couple of days but I've been afraid to officially commit for fear that it will automatically bring on writer's block.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...