Monday, April 30, 2007

Mothering

I think raising strong, happy children isn’t just about them. At first, I thought it was about providing love and discipline and security and all that, but the more I think about it, the more I think that in order to do this, I have to excercise my own strength and positivity.

I need to look for the good in the world and in myself. I need to see the world as positive. I need to be happy in what I have and who I am. I need to face my own fears and take action. I need to take chances on the things that usually have me cowering in “what ifs.”

Again, I am impressed by the truth that in order to be a good mother, you need to mother yourself. It’s not about giving yourself indulgences that give you pleasure for a minute. And it’s not about being selfish and thinking you are more important than anyone else, but it is about taking care of yourself and your needs and your soul and your body. It’s about showing your children how you take care of yourself. It’s about being strong so that you have more to give your children.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...