Friday, November 03, 2006

12,517 Words in NaNoWriMo by Day Three. Tell me to Shut Up.

I’ve been doing really well. 5456 words on the first. 4550 words on the second, and today 2511 words. All above the minimum word count. All leaving me far above the mark needed if I want to finish, but…

I just got so lazy today. I had given myself the unofficial goal of 5,000 words a day, so slacking off when the baby went to bed instead of writing, it made me feel bad. Did I happen to say that the word count needed to meet the goals of NaNoWriMo is 1,667 words a day. Not 5,000. Not 2,511—like I wrote today, but I still feel bad about it.

I do this. When I get into something and commit to it, I throw my entire self into it. When I really want something, my standards are far beyond what normal people ask of themselves. I get all perfectionist and intense.

It’s good because I get somewhere, I do good work. (In this case, “good work” means word count, not good writing.) But it’s bad, because when I fall short of my perfectionist standards into the realm of the merely human but still good, I start feeling bad about myself.

I know what I’m doing. I’m in a good place, just being a freak. So, shake it off mamacita. Shake it off.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have been following your progress on the NaNo forum boards, and I'm using your word count as my inspiration.

I'm also a mother (of a 15 month old toddler who is the joy and strain of my life) and I'm always looking for ways to bring more creativity into my life. That's one of the reasons I am doing NaNo this year...to prove to myself that I can still write, even though I am also a mother.

Keep writing--you are pushing me along as well. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...